WE DID IT!
When I say “we”, I truly mean “we”. Although this was a solo adventure it would not have succeeded without the support of our close land and sea support teams, the Samoa Lifeline, the people of Samoa and Australia, our corporate sponsors and a whole raft of other stars who aligned to achieve an amazing result. In total, Kayak4Youth raised:
This amount is sufficient to re-invigorate and sustain the Samoa Lifeline for another 1.5 years.
The project also raised the level of awareness with respect to the issue, to a new level. It is envisaged that the Kayak4Youth journey will now become a learning tool and discussion point for young people across the Pacific. Kayak4Youth was designed to be a legacy, not a one-off event. Regardless of size or impact, there will be a Kayak4Youth event held once a year, somewhere in the world for the same and ongoing cause.
An Australian television documentary tackling the issue of youth suicide in Samoa and elsewhere, and covering the Kayak4Youth journey is now in production with an
anticipated release in 2014.
Kayak4Youth 2014 is now being planned and will take place in Australia’s Northern Territory. To sustain the legacy, 10% of the proceeds will go to Lifeline in Samoa, and the remaining 90% will be donated to Lifeline in the Northern Territory. Suicide is 100% preventable, so now it’s time to focus on a new Kayak4Youth challenge…this time in Australia’s Top End.
As an Australian residing in Samoa, Andy recognises the fact that youth suicide is an issue impacting on both countries. Money raised during this adventure will be donated to the Inspire Foundation in Australia, and Samoa’s Lifeline, Faataua le Ola (FLO) in Samoa.
This voyage, if successfully completed, may become the first such circumnavigation ever – Samoan and other seafarers have voyaged in the waters around these islands, but there is no record of any vessel making such a circumnavigation.
As the journey unfolds, Andy will be joined on the water at various villages by local fishermen, traditional outrigger groups, surfers and other boats. Although he will be by himself for most of the 400km journey, he will not be alone. This is a key message for our youth, who should always have someone to turn to in difficult times.